Town Hall

Town Hall


Nearest Car Park is Lady Place Car Park.
The Town Council has its offices and Council Chamber in the Town Hall in the Market Square.

The Town Hall was erected in 1813 and extended in 1840. Further improvements were carried out in 1893. The use of the building has varied considerably since it was originally built. As well as being used for meetings of the Local Board and later the Urban District Council, it has been a corn exchange, fire station,
county court, cinema, school room, social functions hall, dance hall, library and an engineer and surveyor's office.

The building was extensively restored in 1987 for which the Town Council was proud to receive the John Ambrose Award. The restoration of the building set a standard for the area and was soon followed by the enhancement of the Market Square and the redevelopment of the old cattle market - now known as Westbrook Walk. It is a Grade II Listed Building and care was taken to ensure that as many of the original features as possible were preserved.

As part of the restoration a cupula, clock and weather vane were provided on the roof in memory of a former Town Clerk - Ewart N Ings.

The ground floor has been divided into shop units, with the first floor comprising three offices and the Council Chamber. There is a stair lift available for those with limited mobility