There are three tiers of local government, each with different responsibilities. Alton Town Council is the first and most local tier, with an important role to play in promoting the town, representing its interests and supporting the work of different groups in the community. East Hampshire District Council is the second tier and is responsible for services including car parking, housing and street cleaning. Finally Hampshire County Council’s responsibilities include highways (relating to both roads and pavements), education, health and social services, public rights of way and libraries.

Please contact the Town Hall if you have any issues or comments in relation to the Town Council’s areas of responsibility. The Town Hall is located in Market Square and is open from Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 4.30pm. You may also contact us via telephone on 01420 83986 or via e-mail at We aim to respond to any e-mail requests within 2 working days.


 Alton Town Council - 01420 83986

  • Allotment sites across town
  • Assembly Rooms
  • Bus Shelters
  • CCTV hardware (monitored by the Police)
  • Christmas Lights
  • Dog Waste and Rubbish Bins in Town Council owned Public Spaces
  • Floral Displays and Alton in Bloom
  • Footpath issues (monitoring and reporting)
  • Weekly and occasional Markets
  • Public Noticeboards
  • Parks and Public Gardens
  • Children's Play Areas
  • Public Benches
  • Alton Events Programme
  • Skate Parks at Anstey Park and Jubilee Fields
  • Sports Pitches at Jubilee Fields and Anstey Park
  • The Charles Reed and Harry Baker Pavilions at Jubilee Fields
  • The Finnimore Pavilion at Anstey Park
  • War Memorials

Service Directory: East Hampshire District Council and Hampshire County Council provide all other services in Alton as follows:

East Hampshire District Council01730 266551

  • Car Parks
  • Cemeteries
  • Collection of Council Tax and Non-Domestic (business) Rates
  • Dog Waste Bins (other areas)
  • Community Recycling Sites
  • Electoral Register / Elections
  • Environmental Health (Food Premises /Noise Pollution)
  • Grass verges / Other grassed areas
  • Housing
  • Kerbside Recycling Collection
  • Licensing
  • Listed Building / Conservation Areas
  • Planning
  • Protection of Trees
  • Public Toilets
  • Refuse Collection
  • Sports Centres
  • Street Cleansing
  • Street Naming /Nameplates
  • Tourist Information Centres
  • Travel Tokens


Hampshire County Council01962 841841

  • Education
  • Gritting of Roads
  • Household Waste Recycling Site (Tip)
  • Libraries
  • Museums
  • Pavements
  • Planning (Strategic)
  • Public Transport
  • Registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths
  • Roads
  • Social Services
  • Street Lighting (Freephone 0800 506060)
  • Trading Standards
  • Youth Service

  Hampshire Police
is responsible for addressing crime and anti-social behaviour in Alton. Go to for more information. In the event of an emergency please dial 999 or 101 for non-emergency Police matters