Public Gardens

Playpark
The gardens open daily at 7.00am and are closed at 5.00pm from 29th October until 25th March. 

Comprising 4.5 acres in the centre of the town the Public Gardens forms a delightfully pleasant oasis away from the main street bustle, with lawns, sheltering trees, shrubs, flower beds and children's play area (including special needs play equipment.)

An Outdoor Bowling Green and Clubhouse are also situated in the gardens and are leased to the Alton Bowling Club since 1954. The friendly club always welcome new members, for further information please click here - Alton Bowling Club.

The jewel in the crown of the Public Gardens has got to be the Bandstand, and as part of the Town Council's summer entertainment programme it provides the ideal setting for several free musical concerts for the local residents to enjoy.
Gardens
Alton's new Bandstand was commissioned in 2012 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen. The design retains the original base which now supports the new red, white and blue ornate steel structure sporting bosses of the Hampshire Rose, the Alton shield and diamond shaped lattice work. It was funded by a significant contribution from the estate of the late Mr Ray Porter, a friend of Alton. Other donations where gratefully received from the 2012 Alton Carnival, Alton Summer Beer Festival, public donations and developer contributions released by EHDC. The new Bandstand was unveiled by the Town Mayor of Alton, Cllr Derek Gardener in June 2013.

The previous wooden Bandstand was built in 1935 by the Alton Urban District Council to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of His Majesty The King George V. The wooden Bandstand was then rebuilt in 1989/90 following a fire.

 

BandstandBandstand