Alton in Bloom has been re-imagined for 2022.
Alton in Bloom is an annual local competition run by Alton Town Council in recognition of the residents and volunteers in our community that contribute to making Alton beautiful.
With the Council's stance on climate change and environmental issues, the traditional format of 'In Bloom' is being replaced with a new concept. Whilst there will be no award ceremony this year we are inviting residents to pledge to undertake one of the following categories below. We are also still keen to see all your lovely images, ideally some “before and after” for the dedicated Alton in Bloom Facebook page and for a season end montage which will be displayed at the “All Things Local” event in September, so we can see what a difference we have made to our environment together.
1) Create a re-wilding area of any size, in their garden or nearby communal area
2) Give incredible edibles a try; anything from planting fruit canes, growing veggies in tubs or creating a raised bed or allotment plot in your garden
3) Engage in wildlife friendly gardening- either planting extra pollinators, creating a habitat for a hedgehog, frog or other visitor, or installing a bird or bat box.
4) Plant a tree for the Jubilee or if you don't have the space, sponsor a tree for £50 as part of the new Alton Town Council's- Queen's Green Canopy. As part of Her Majesty's Jubilee, a variety of fruit trees will be planting which will include apple, pear, plum and cherry and a map of the orchard with the name of each sponsor at Windmill Hill.
Click here to reserve your tree
Click here to enter Alton In Bloom
5) Tallest Sunflower Competition, with two separate categories for children and adults.
Categories 1-4 by 31st July
Category 5 31st August
Thank you and enjoy your garden.